Sunday, June 2, 2013

Home sweet away-from-home

This is the first time I have driven an RV (campervan in Aussie speak).

I am so glad that I went with renting the van!  It means flexibility and freedom! We can stay extra days if we want to which we did in Whistler. We were planning to stay 3 nights, but stayed an extra two before heading north. It also means we don't have to keep unpacking and packing suitcases. We have our little home on wheels all set up ready to go wherever we like. 
I have learned some valuable lessons eg. make sure that nothing is left sitting on the table or the kitchen bench or the bathroom bench before you drive off. Discovered that when there was quite a lot of noise from falling objects behind me when I first drove off in Whistler. This is why the sink is full of stuff in the photo - so that it doesn't go flying and it is easy to set up again when I park.

 

As soon as we pull up for the night, the bikes come out so we have room to move inside. They spend the night chained up outside, usually to a picnic table. I'm sure they don't mind.  At least they get to travel in comfort inside, tucked up in their sheets.

That is my bed in the back corner and Joel is sleeping in the 'loft' above the front cabin. The bathroom is behind the door with the mirror beside my bed. The space is quite comfortable for two people.

My back seat driver (who sits in the front) is doing a good job of reminding me which side of the road to drive on. It is getting easier, slowly. And, it is quite nice to have your own personal loo with you wherever you might be - no wondering where the next public toilet is!

1 comment:

  1. Your little home looks divine - now I'm even more envious. Pleased to hear that Joel is keeping you on the right side of the road (literally, if not metaphorically).
    I wonder if you will want one of your own???
    Hope the sun is shining for you today.

    ReplyDelete