Friday, July 15, 2016

A day on the mountain: Part II: Communing

Thank God for long Scottish summer days. I determined to make the most of the only dry day for the week. After my riding, I went for walk up to the mountain. I walked about 10 km return to sit beneath the North Face of Ben Nevis. The walk began with a steep climb through pine plantation with pockets of pretty birch woods.
Once out in to the open heath, the track leveled out and continued to climb gradually following a burn (creek).
Lots of alpine wild flowers, including two types of heather, pink and purple; and white bog cotton.
Ben Nevis means "the poisionous (or vicious) mountain". Today it was in a benign mood, fortunately for me. As I walked towards the mountain a cool breeze wafted around me but it was warm enough to be wearing tshirt and shorts. A pair of golden eagles circled above the valley wall. I passed half a dozen other walkers, but mostly I was alone.
I had a late afternoon tea under the wall of rock that is Ben Nevis's North Face. It is about 5.30 pm.
The North Face is popular with rock climbers. They even have their own private club hut there. I was sitting a couple of hundred metres from it. You should be able to see it in the centre of this photo. Being constructed from stone it blends in with its surroundings.
Even though the sunshine was moving across the alpine valley, the mountain kept its face in shadow as if revealing its face, but hiding its true nature, maintaining some of its mystery and menace. B


But I felt quite welcome in the mountain's presence on this, the only mostly sunny day we have had. Sheryl even saw children swimming at beach on her explorations today.

2 comments: