Friday, July 15, 2016

A day on the mountain: Part I: Psycho

Riding tbe downhill track at Fort William is a bit like a pilgrimage for a mountain biker. As on old downhiller, I could not come here and not ride this track. But, this was my first ride for at least 16 months...

Remember the eek, eek, eek music in the movie Psycho, in the shower scene just before the lead actress is stabbed to death? Well, that is the sound the gondola was making in the loading station at the base of Aanoch Moor as I loaded my hired enduro mountain bike on to the gondola. With Sheryl's last words to me, "Don't break anything," also in my mind, I will admit to feeling a little nervous, but also excited.
 Why do I do this to myself? I fell off a board walk section of the Red Route. I did this last time I was here, six years ago. But I landed on soft mud and heather. I could see by the tyre tracks that others had come off in the same spot so that made me feel better.
 The views sure were good! Looking up one of the mountain valleys.
 Fabulous views out over Fort William. Mountains upon mountains in every direction.
 On the start ramp of the World Cup track. If only I could ride like Tracey Hannah...I admit I walked about 30% of this track. I kept hearing Sheryl's words in my head. Parts of this track are awesome fun, some are just terrifying.
I finished off my Fort Will riding on one of the xc tracks that ended with a fun descent, and no injuries.


No comments:

Post a Comment