Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Camp

The Larapinta Trail is 223km long. We only walked 88 km over 6 days. Our Larapinta Classic walk with World Expeditions - fully catered, staying in semi-permanent camps, only needing to carry a day pack each day, but it was still pretty rugged walking. (see examples of wrecked boots on my facebook cover page)

We were driven by bus to and from some of our days of walking.

Our wonderful guides: Oscar ("today's walk will be undulating"), Aran ("foot clinic is open" and "orogeny" - it is a real word, google 'Alice Springs Orogeny') and Shannon ("gluten free people only")

What is it about Tasmania and guides? Annabelle, our guide from the first week lives in Tassie, and both Oscar and Aran (www.tasmaniansafaris.com to tour Tassie with Aran) are from Tassie too! Oscar was by far the youngest person in our group and as head guide, he got tell everyone where to go. Not bad - getting paid to boss around people twice and three times your age. Oscar and I know each other from Tasmania, as we both ride downhill mountain bikes back home in Tassie. Oscar, Aran and Shannon all did a fantastic job at looking after all us old people.

We had 2 nights at Nick's Camp and 3 nights at Charlie's Camp
 
Each campsite in a collection of tents around the orange covered living/dining/kitchen, and a green toilet tent with two shower tents nearby.

Cooking on gas. Amazing meals came out of this kitchen.

 Pre-dinner drinks, nibbles and chatting and laughing every day.

Standing around the heater at breakfast time. There is no way I could do this at any other time of the year as it would be too hot. Even though the nights were very cold (my wet socks froze on the clothes line one night!) it warmed up very quickly when the sun rose and we got hot and sweaty hiking up hills during the daytime.

Sleeping - either in the tent on a swag and stretcher, or you could put the stretcher outside and sleep under the stars which several people chose to do.

Most people shared their tent. I had the luxury of being alone.
 Notes from the first (and typical) night:

Lying awake, in the dark, no idea what time it is as my phone has died. It is quite cosy in my tent. The camp stretcher and swag and sleeping bag are comfy. As I lie in the dark, my bladder is beginning to insist I get up. Finally, after tossing and turning and listening and trying to ignore my bladder, I give up. I pull on my warm coat and slip my feet in to my walking boots, no socks, laces done up very loosely. I use my head torch to navigate the tussocks of buffle grass and tents to find my way toward the toilets. The sensor light comes on and near blinds me as I approach.

After I return and snuggle back in to my sleeping bag, lying in dark, I hear a tent zip, and another, and another, and footsteps. I must have started the nightly toilet procession.

Back in bed, I can't sleep. I still have no idea what time it is. The sky outside is dark except for millions of stars and the air is still. I read for awhile and then the temperature drops. I can feel it so I put my thermal top on and turn my torch light off. I will attempt to sleep.

Dosing fitfully I hear "Where is that bloody alarm? Who put the alarm on?!!" It is Loretta's voice, in Mick and Marie's tent - trying to find the alarm in the dark while they have gone to the toilets!

Then I hear the most melodious musical bird. On and on he sings. No one replies. He is alone, singing in the day.

Toilets - one on each side - non-flushing camp loos - a bit smelly.

When there is no plumbing, this is a very clever set up for washing hands. Cut a plastic water bottle in half. Make a handle with wire. Punch several holes in the bottom. Fill it with water from the bucket and hang it up on a hook. Wash hands in the water pouring out through the holes.

Having a hot shower with no plumbing involved filling a bucket with cold water, pouring it in to one end of the "donkey". You can see the fire lit in the tray under the barrel. Hey presto! Hot water comes out the other end in to the bucket on the ground. Carry your bucket of hot water to the shower.

 Pour hot water in to the bucket in the shower and hoist it up by the rope. Flick the lever and you get 2 1/2 minutes of hot water - which is enough to shower, wash your hair, and your clothes! It works - I did it! I got under the water fully clothed, shampooed my hair and let the soapiness run down over my clothes, then stripped off to rinse myself and my clothes. OK - maybe not as clean as at home with a plumbed shower and a washing machine, but still, not bad.






No comments:

Post a Comment