Saturday, September 6, 2014

Symphony in the outback

I am standing in an amphitheatre, surrounded by an orchestra of bird song.
 
I had remembered Annabelle mentioning the birds at sunrise at Glen Helen Gorge. When I awoke in the darkness, unsure of the time, I'd heard just one bird, looked out of the tent and saw the sky was just beginning to lighten. I needed my torch to find the path through the tall grass and reeds and over the sand and loose river stones.
 
Now, I am standing on a small sandy beach, still water, a sliver of a waning moon reflected, music increasing from all directions - surround sound.
 
From the darkness I hear a low throaty warning bark. Then another. I turn on my torch and scan the reeds. Nothing. No movement. Dingoes? No, silly - dingoes don't bark. A wild dog perhaps? What will I do if it rushes at me from the reeds? I hear it again amongst the chorus of bird song.
 
The light slowly increases. Perfect still reflections of glowing red cliffs. I see black swamp hens fossicking on the reed beds - the source of the bark.
 
The melodious symphony continues. I try not to take photos but it is irresistible. I must capture something of this moment. The stillness. The colours. The peace. The joyfulness. But the sound will remain inside my memories.
 
Back at camp - delicious porridge for breakfast before heading off to Ormiston Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment