Saturday, July 14, 2018

Which castle?

Which castle can I claim? Not this one. It is S's. She is actually a direct descendant of the Rose family who built Kilravock Castle. It does look better from the front but we couldn't drive around there and it is not open to the public. We snuck up driveway to get this photo.
Maybe I can claim this one? It is called Castle Stuart and I do have a 5 times great grandmother called Ann Stuart. I might have to fight T for it though as she really is a Stewart. 'Stewart' is the older original spelling of 'Stuart'. This castle is also not open to the public. It was being run as a hotel until recently.
The two castles above are near Inverness. This one is on the shore of Loch Ness. I don't want this one - it needs too much work. Castle Urquhart has a long history of being fought over. Now it seems that millions of tourists visit each year while trying to find Nessie in the loch. We did not bother to do either of those things.
The next one is on the way to Skye in the north west. I might claim this one. Eilean Donan was once the stronghold of Clan MacKenzie, and guess what? My 3 times great grandmother was Mary MacKenzie!
Somehow I don't think I am up for fighting over a castle and I doubt the McRae family would give it up easiily.  We are now on the island of Skye for 3 nights. IF the weather clears and IF the dodgy wifi allows, I might be able to post some photos of stunning mountains. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment