Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Men in kilts

I really did want to attend a highland games while in Scotland but it seemed impossible to find one that was on at the right date at a location that matched our location. But, we had a few days near my McNab and MaLaren lands and we saw the sign, literally. There was a banner advertising the games on the day we were checking out.
Men in kilts

 And bagpipes
And parading clans



Throwing 16lb, 22lb and 48lb balls.

Dancing all day

Lone piping competitions
More dancing

A clan leader
Tossing the caber (picture a power pole)
More ball throwing. I could have watched these blokes all day. Oh, that's right - we did.


Tug of war


These particular games at Lochearnhead have been run here since 1818. It was wonderful to be able to watch a real local highland games. After sitting on the ground beside the arena all day, we drove for about 2 hours to our next location in Ayr. We could still hear the bagpipes playing in our heads as we went to sleep that night.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jill. I'm seeking your permission to use your photos of our Clan Gregor members for our Society's page. Many Thanks in advance Jill . Don MacGregor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don! Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I have only just seen your comment. Not sure how I missed it. Anyway - yes. Very happy for you to share my blog post with anyone. Or did you want the original photos?

    ReplyDelete