Monday, August 22, 2016

The Horses

London, the central part at least, is quiet nice as far as cities go. It does have beautiful old and varied architecture and lovely huge parks. I have been here once before, in 2010 for 3 days. Now, we have another 3 days. We are all off doing seperate things as we are filling in gaps from previous visits.

I accidently encountered some of the Queen's black horse guards walking down a street next to the palace. For me, easily the most beautiful London sight. A real wow moment. Sometimes the unplanned unexpected things are the best ones.

When I arrived at Buckingham Palace there were huge crowds and police controllong them. My viewing point was on the side, not very good, but better than many. There was an awful lot of seemingly pointless marching back and forward for well over an hour. I thought it would take 20 minutes!
Near the palace guards barracks is their church. It is a newish building except for the altar area, as it was bombed in WWII in 1944, during a Sunday morning service. 121 people died. All their names are listed near the entrance. I found that quite moving.
Last time I was in London, I only saw Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliment in the night time, so I wanted to see them in the daylight. They truly are impressive buildings with the most elaborate and beautiful decorations. Thankfully, they were not destroyed during WWII.











No comments:

Post a Comment