Saturday, August 17, 2019

One of the biggest

One of the largest book festivals in the world - Edinburgh Book Festival. We treated ourselves to 2 days.
Alexander McCall-Smith was very entertaining, plenty of laughter. "The landscapes of our childhood are important" 
Neil Oliver - archaeology, history, places that tell stories and being able to touch things and stand in the same place as another person did thousands of years ago. The past is important as it tells us who we are today.
The whole festival is held in marquees with wooden walkways set up in one of Edinburgh's grassy city squares.  There were two large bookshops set up in marquees...so many tempting books! S bought one but I was too overwhelmed by the choices and bought nothing. Some of the queues were very long! This is the beginning of our queue for Alexander MaCall-Smith.
Two Marks - finding joy in the simple rythmn of walking all day every day in "How to kill a mole". Yes, he did once earn a living killing moles. And living without modern tecnology - I like the idea but I don't think I could go as far as he did in "The Way home"


Brigid Benson's book about travelling the northern highlands of Scotland. Travel slowly, get off the tourist trail, spend time really connecting with the places you visit. And she takes beautiful photos.
Oh my! SO SO MANY BEAUTIFUL BOOKS!


2 comments:

  1. I have never read Alexander McCall Smith but I see his books in op shops frequently. Which of his books is a good place to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think S is the one to ask about McCall books. She has read more than me. But I have read one of the 44 Scotland series and enjoyed it so that might be a good place to start. He is very prolofic!

      Delete