Friday, May 24, 2013

Road Trip !!!

You always need a book to read on a long flight so as I am embarking on the huge road trip around Canada, I thought it would be appropriate to read the ultimate road trip book - On the Road by Jack Kerouac, which I've never read. I went to the Devonport bookshop especially to buy On the Road and was very pleased to find they had one copy on their shelves. Now it is in my bag waiting to be read on the plane.

What is it about 'road trips' that Australians, and apparently Americans, and probably Canadians, love so much? Most Aussies have this intangible but recognisable hankering to hit the open road and escape. When I think of my past holidays they are mostly road trips.

Is it some connection with our collective memory of pioneers and the wild west, heading off in to the unknown to make your fortune - the spirit of adventure - exploring and discovering new lands?
Or is it an unarticulated need to escape the modern 21st century rat race that our lives have become and find a simpler, more real and authentic way of life, even if only for a brief time.

All I know, is that as I think of getting in the motorhome and hitting the road, the words - freedom, escape and adventure come to mind.


2 comments:

  1. Hi!! This is Michelle, Sheryl's little sister here wishing you the very best of adventures. I will be jealously following your journey along with my son's journey who is also in Canada for 7 months!
    Good luck and happy travels, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome on board Michelle! Sheryl has been showing me your son's photos from Canada - lucky boy! What a dream job!

    ReplyDelete