Thursday, August 25, 2022

When Jillian met Polly: our first 2 days together

This is Polly, my hired van from Apollo. She is my home for 3 weeks.
We met in Broome and drove all afternoon on a very boring, very straight road through very boring scrub and grassland to stay overnight at 80 Mile Beach.
The beach was wide, sandy and full of shells. I had a lovely walk at sunset and sunrise. Not many people on the beach considering there must have been 500 people in park which is literally the only thing here.
My second day with Polly was another long day of driving. This is probably the prettiest picture of Port Hedland that you will ever see. I stopped to photograph the field of purple mulla mulla when one of the frequent very very long iron ore trains trundled across the horizon.
I stopped in Port Headland to buy food for me and petrol for Polly. The Woolies was busy but the centre of town was dead as it was after 12.00 on a Saturday. I ate my sandwich for lunch in a reasonably nice park between the town centre and the mouth of the Port. 5 tugboats guided a very very long ship out. The surrounds of Port Headland are a dystopian industrial landscape of monstrous cranes chewing up the vomited land from the trains and regurgitating it into the bowels of ships, a place you come to make money and leave. I did see some Sturts desert pea just out of the town, a bright splash of nature in an otherwise decimated place.
Our second night was slightly nicer, but not much, parked in a small campsite behind this drab roadhouse in the middle of nowhere.
Oh well, it is all part of the adventure Home is where you hang your hat.
On the third day it was a short and more interesting drive into Karajini National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment