Thursday, February 6, 2014

For my librarian friends

For my librarian friends - I am still a librarian at heart. Today I was a library tourist.
And he did - the library is indeed located right in the middle of the Berkeley campus of the University of California.
Today I went for walk through the campus. I especially wanted to see the university's library buildings which I had read about in "It came from Berkeley: How Berkeley changed the world" - a history of Berkeley which I am reading at the moment.



 Above  - the Doe Library, construction began in 1907. The upper story of the front wing houses a beautiful reading room.
 
Below - the inside of the main reading room which includes the reference collection shelved around the walls and at the far end.
 

The Reference desk librarians are at a counter half way along this room just off the main reading room.
 
This reading room includes the serials collection.
 
Lunch time poetry reading in the Morrison room.
 
Main entrance hall
 
This is pretty cool! Inter-library loan and book delivery around campus using an electric golf-buggy style vehicle.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment